• Español (Spanish)
  • English
Santa María de Guía - Turismo Navigation

La joya gastronómica de Canarias
Origin
Socio Economic development
Dates and information
ILLUSTRIOUS CHARACTERS

Dates and information

Cenobio de Valerón y Tagoror del Gallego

1460 Diego de Silva and his episode on the Cuesta that bears his name.

1483 The conquest of Gran Canaria ends.

1487-1501 Genoese merchants settled in Gran Canaria and sugar cane cultivation began.

1505-08 Sancho de Vargas builds a chapel dedicated to the Virgin of Guía.

1525 The hermitage of San Roque is built.

1526 Guía is granted "mayor and rod of justice”. Separation from Gáldar.

1528 The chapel of San Sebastián is built.

1533 Emperor Charles V signs the creation of the Parish of Santa María de Guía.

1600 Sugar cane disappears and the wine cycle begins.

1629 Synods of Bishop Cristóbal de la Cámara Murga (1629). "In Guía there is a benefice, a good church and a small factory, a place of 300 inhabitants, it has large vineyards and the best wines that are collected on the whole island".

1646 Sister Catalina de San Mateo was born.

1665 An agreement is signed for the construction of the new parish church.

1672 The chapel of San Felipe was built.

1680 The wine cycle went into crisis when Portuguese wines began to displace Canary Island wines on the British market.

1686 Description of the Canary Islands composed by D. Pedro Agustín del Castillo y León: "It is five leagues from the city and has more than 400 inhabitants, a parish church with a beneficiary; there is a mayor: in this place a lot of wine and wheat, millet, barley, rye, beans and other vegetables are harvested.

1690 The hermitage of San Juan de la Montañeta was built.

1700 Work begins on the Franciscan Church and Hospice.

1734 The chapel of San Francisco de Asís was built in Los Mondragones (Casa de Aguilar).

1735 The chapel of San José was ordered to be built by the beneficiary Baltasar José Rodríguez Déniz y Quintana in the Baroque style.

1756 The sculptor José Luján Pérez was born.

1759 The chapel of San Antonio was created in Hoya de Pineda.

1773 Pedro José Gordillo Ramos (Canon Gordillo) is born.

1780 Work began on the current façade of the church.

1782 The poet Rafael Bento Travieso (Poeta Bento) is born.

1811 The peasants of the midlands of Gran Canaria make the Voto de Vergara and the Fiesta de Las Marías de Guía is born.

1812  First Spanish Constitution. Cortes of Cadiz.

1813 Canon Gordillo presides over the Cortes de Cádiz.

1813 The Court of First Instance of Guía is created.

1815 The first cemetery of Guía is built in San Roque, where Luján Pérez, the author of its façade, may have been buried that same year.

1816 The Italian doctor Juan Bautista Bandini publishes the book "Lecciones Elementales de Agricultura..." in which he indicates, referring to Gran Canaria, that "the butter and cheese are of good quality, especially the one made in the highlands of Guía...".

1820 From the 1920s, cochineal was introduced and the process of acclimatisation of cochineal began, which became the Canary Islands' main export product from 1848 to about 1870.

1836 The work on the church was completed with the installation of the clock, paid for by Luján Pérez and brought from England.

1851 Luis Suárez Galván was born. He emigrated to Cuba, where he made a great fortune, becoming president of the National Bank of Cuba and the Chamber of Commerce of Havana.

1852 The poet Domingo Rivero was born in Arucas, but spent all his childhood and youth in Guía.

1854 The first theatre society is created in Guía: "Unión y fomento de Guía".

1870  With the introduction of synthetic anilines on the market, which cost less to produce than cochineal, an economic crisis began. The effects of the crisis were brutal.

1871 Guía de Gran Canaria was granted the title of town.

1880 The eighties of the 19th century saw massive emigration and a readjustment of agriculture.

1880 The first banana plantations begin in the Canary Islands. Important British commercial presence on the islands from then on.

1885 The northern road reaches Guía.

1889-1895 An attempt was made in Guía to reintroduce sugar cultivation and a sugar factory was built.

1890 José Samsó Henriquez was born in Guía. He was to become a Military Auditor with outstanding humanitarian work in the prison camps during the First World War.

1892 The Leacock family arrived in the Canary Islands.

1895 The Casino de Instrucción y Recreo (Casino of Instruction and Recreation) was founded.

1898 The first Guardia Civil barracks was created in the northwest of the island.

1900 French composer Camille Saint-Saëns inaugurated the church organ.

1903 The firm of Leacock and Lorenzo was founded.

1905 The philologist and historian Miguel Santiago Rodríguez was born.

1912-1913 The Torreón-Mirador de Guía was built.

1913 The first Island Council of Gran Canaria was constituted.

1906 The composer and researcher Néstor Álamo Hernández was born.

1912 The Centro Obrero de Guía (Workers' Centre of Guía) was created.

1914 World War I begins.

1918 World War I ends.

1920 The parish church undergoes various works, including the installation of a false ceiling with paintings and the installation of stained glass windows.

1921 The poet Manuel González Sosa was born.

1922 The Agricultural Union of the North of Gran Canaria was created.

1927  Dolores de Sosa founded the Colegio de la Inmaculada Concepción, which would later pass into the hands of the Dominican Sisters.

1930 The Agricultural Union of Irrigators of Gran Canaria was formally constituted in Guía de Gran Canaria, which was to become known as the Sindicato Agrícola de Regantes de Gran Canaria.

1934 The Hespérides Cinema Theatre was opened.

1935 Construction of dams in Guía.

1936 The Spanish Civil War begins.

1939 Spanish Civil War ends.

1940 Regantes began to build an important network of pipes, reservoirs and dams…

1945 Second World War.

1946 The singer Braulio García Bautista was born.

1946 The first regional Secondary School was created, later Labour Institute (1950) and Secondary School (1975), until the construction of the new centre located in El Naranjo in 2001.

1947 Work begins on the Colegio de los Salesianos, under the auspices of Doña Eusebia de Armas Almeida.

1949 World War II ends.

1952 Work begins on the Hogar Rural, later to become the San Fernando Youth Hostel.

1955 The Virgen de Guía unveiled a new silver throne.

1958 The football club Unión Deportivo Guía is founded.

1970 A new school was inaugurated in the neighbourhood of La Atalaya.

1972-73 The Nicolás Aguiar school was built.

1972 The Camarín de la Virgen de Guía was inaugurated.

1972 The construction of the municipal swimming pools began.

1976-1977 The Luis Cortí de Becerril school is built.

1977 First democratic elections.

1977 The Cheese Festival was born.

1978 The Spanish Constitution was approved.

1978 Cenobio de Valerón is declared a Historic-Artistic Monument.

1978 The Municipal Band of Guía was created after having disappeared for many years.

1979 The bridges of Silva were inaugurated.

1979 The wrestling arena was inaugurated.

1980 The folkloric group Estrella y Guía de Gran Canaria was created.

1982 sThe old town of Guía was declared a National Historic-Artistic Site.

1984-85 The Miguel Santiago School was built.

1989 The local Guardia Civil barracks were inaugurated in Guía.

1992 A new Vocational Training Centre was inaugurated in Lomo de Guillén.

1993 The water treatment plant of Guía was inaugurated.

2001 The Instituto de Guía was inaugurated in El Naranjo.

2004 The Casa de la Cultura and Miguel Santiago Library was inaugurated.

2007 The Luján Pérez Foundation was created.

2007 Exhibition "Luján Pérez and his time".

2008 The Néstor Álamo Foundation of the Canary Islands was created.

2009 The Néstor Álamo Museum was inaugurated.

2011 The bicentenary of the "Fiesta de las Marías" is celebrated./p>

2013 The bicentenary of the creation of the Juzgado de Primera Instancia e Instrucción de Guía is celebrated.

2014 The Parliament of the Canary Islands approves the creation of the Fernando Pessoa private university.

2015 The 200th anniversary of the death of Luján Pérez is celebrated.

FacebookXYouTubeInstagram
X