Eusebia de Armas

Image

Favourite Daughter of Guía, she was a benefactor of the church, founder of the Colegio de Los Salesianos, an emblematic building of the city.

Doña Eusebia de Armas, Favourite Daughter of Guía, ordered the construction in 1947 of the building that would later house the Salesian College, creating by will a "Foundation", and bequeathing all her assets, rights, titles and shares to the Diocese of the Canary Islands, This made it possible to maintain a school run by the Salesians or, failing that, by any other religious community run by priests, with the obligation to provide financially for 20 poor students in boarding school, as well as the number of external students that circumstances allowed.

In the summer of 1955, the Salesian Fathers began their educational work in Guía, which lasted until August 1971, when they left Guía due to disagreements with the Bishopric over the administration of Eusebia de Armas Almeida's property.

 She is also responsible for the donation of the recumbent Christ and his sepulchre, made of ukola wood, which is in the parish church of Santa María de Guía. It was sculpted by her relative, José de Armas Medina from Agaete. Like the Salesians' building, 1947 was also the year of its premiere. He also donated his house in his will to the church, located in Calle Pérez Galdós, on the corner of Calle Canónigo Gordillo.