Small Square and City Hall

Image

Although its official name since 1931 is Luján Pérez Square, it is still known as Small Square, to differentiate it from the main square called Big Square, and because originally its size was even smaller. In it we can see two busts of the famous Guian sculptor José Luján Pérez and, in the background, the Town Hall.

Luján Pérez Square owes its nickname of Small Square to the fact that it originally had a square plan at its northern end, and the rest of the plan was occupied by buildings. At the beginning of the 60s of the 20th century, the site where it was planned to build the current building of the Town Hall was acquired. To give this new Town Hall more attractiveness, it was decided to demolish the aforementioned houses; in this way, the Plaza Chica experienced an extension to the south.

The City Hall building, which is located in front of this square, was inaugurated in 1962. On the site that it occupies today, the construction of a large fruit and vegetable market was projected, but the need of locating the City Hall in a definitive headquarters that was central and easily accessible, explained the choice of this projected building as the Town Hall. Aforementioned market would be located between the back of the ground floor of this property and the basement, with access to the old La Carnicería street. After operating as such for a short time, the entire building was assigned to the municipal administration.